- Choose Insert, and then choose either Header or Footer.
- Dozens of built-in layouts appear. Scroll through them and choose the one you want.The header and footer space will open in your document, along with the Header & Footer Tools. You won’t be able to edit the body of your document again until you close the Header & Footer Tools.
- Type the text you want in the header or footer. Most headers and footers have placeholder text (such as “Document title”) that you can type right over.
TIP: Choose among the Header & Footer Tools to add more to your header or footer, such as the date & time, a picture, and the author’s name or other document info. You can also select options for different headers on odd and even pages, and indicate that you don’t want the header or footer to appear on the first page.
- When you’re done, choose Close Header and Footer.
To edit your header or footer, open the Header & Footer Tools by double-clicking inside the header or footer area.
- To edit text, select the text you want to change and type your new header or footer in its place.
- To change the design, on the Design tab under Header & Footer Tools, click Header or Footer, and then choose a style from the gallery.